What is a HIPPI Switch ??
- A Full Duplex crossbar switch where every input can connect to every output.
- A non blocking switch: which means that no one of the made connections will
lock out an other connection, except if the demanded output is already in
- Most switches accept plug-in adaptors for HIPPI and/or Serial HIPPI connections.
- HIPPI Switches can be used to build networks and have three different addressing
- Source Addressing: The I-Field contains sequential up to 5 output
port addresses. A shift right of one port address per switch is automatically
executed. The switch inserts its input port Address at the left end.
- Destination Addressing: Inverse the Shift direction from the Source
Addressing and reads the port address at the left side, such reversing the
route as received from Source addressing.
- Logical Addressing: Each connected device has a number "The Logical
Address". Switches are loaded with a look-up table to select the corresponding
- Using Source or Destination Addressing only a limited number of switches
can be in a path.
- Using Logical Addressing an unlimited number of switches can be in a path.
Some switches allow multiple parallel routes.
- Switch Specifications can be found
in the HIPPI-SC
- Switches are available for HIPPI-800, and Serial-HIPPI in sizes ranging
from 8X8 up to 32X32.
This is one of the CERN High Speed Interconnect pages - 18 January 1999 - Arie van Praag